Portinscale Village Hall

Portinscale Village Hall was officially opened on 10th October, 1925 amid much rejoicing: celebrations on the day included speeches, games, stalls, entertainment and a ball. At last the village had a hall big enough to accommodate village events and the thriving Women’s Institute. Today the hall is still the centre of village life and continues to be the base for the Women’s Institute.

The committee is keen not only to maintain the hall as the centre of village life but also to ensure that it is modern, comfortable, economical to run and fit for the twenty first century. Extensive refurbishment of the hall has been undertaken in the last few years. Initially a new kitchen, double glazing and a new floor were installed. In 2009, the first phase of the Sustainability Project, which reduces the hall’s carbon footprint and reliance on fossil fuels, was completed. The walls of the Hall were insulated and after the slates had been removed and reinstalled with waterproof membrane and insulation 33 solar photovoltaic panels were installed on the roof. The continuing income from the electricity generated by these enables us to keep our hire rates at a very competitive level.

Phase 2, the refurbishment of the toilet and shower block to provide comfortable facilities for all including those with disabilities, was completed in 2011. This included installing underfloor heating for this part of the Hall provided by an air source heat pump. Since then there has been an ongoing programme of maintenance such as internal and external decorating to ensure that the Hall continues to be the venue of choice for both regular and occasional users.